Monday 30 March 2009

Carrot and Almond Chutney

We've been eating a lot of carrots recently. Partly through trying, as much as possible, to eat seasonal vegetables. At this time of year this results in a lot of coleslaw, which isn't a bad thing especially with the addition of fresh chives from the garden.
It set me thinking that there must be a way of using carrots in a chutney, after some searching it seemed that a lot of people were trying to replicate the classic M&S Wensleydale and caramelised carrot chutney sandwich. It's a few years since I had one of these, but I do remember them as being particularly good, Wensleydale goes very well with a sweet chutney.
There was a good looking Indian recipe at indianfoodforever.com which I'll have to try another time. I decided to have a go at this recipe for Carrot and Almond Chutney from the Chutney Recipes Blog, as I was intrigued by it's description as angel hair jam.


A selection of good big carrots were bought from the local veg shop, peeled, and then grated. I'd thought this would take ages and had considered using the food processor, but in the end it only took about 10 minutes by hand.
I'd had to adapt the recipe somewhat, mostly because I hadn't planned to well in advance and didn't have enough honey or fresh ginger.
See here for the recipe.

Recipe Costs

£1.70 1.5kg carrots (some weight is lost in peeling)
£0.21 125ml white wine vinegar
£0.60 2 lemons
£0.05 1 tblsp honey
£0.10 3 tblsp sugar
£0.05 1 tblsp salt
£0.05 2 tblsp coriander seeds ( I bought a bulk pack)
£0.80 85g fresh ginger
£3.56 Total
£2.96 per kg chutney


Grinding the coriander gave me the chance top use my favorite stone pestle and mortar, something I searched for ages until finding. It has just the right combination of heavy mortar and rough pestle.

The mixture was all stirred up and left overnight, it wasn't quite as moist as I would have expected, which made it quicker to thicken up when the boiling stage was reached.


At this point I realised that maybe if I'd grated the carrot finer it would better resemble 'Angel Hair'. Still it's a great colour, and smelt very gingery.


The chillies and almonds were added just before putting into jars, I had to force it into the jars a bit, as the carrots retained quite a bit of their structure, and I didn't want to leave to many air gaps. Maybe I boiled it for a bit to long, or it could have done with some more liquid.

Recipe Timings

30 mins First Preparation
12 hours sitting
10 mins Second Preparation
40 mins cooking
30 mins Potting

Taste test

I had thought the coriander would be the dominant taste, as 2 tablespoons seemed a lot to be adding, however the ginger is prominent, with a following up of chilli. The carrots retain a lot of bite, as do the almonds, so the texture is a slightly crunchy one. The colour is great, and certainly looks good in a sandwich.



2 comments:

Claudia said...

That is a wonderful way to use winter's bounty. I live in winter 6 months of the year so am always looking for something interesting to do with root vegetables. And love chutneys.

pickleandpreserve said...

It's a treat this one, and quite different from many chutneys. I guess root vegetables, for example swede (rutabaga), are often found as a bulk ingredient in chutney, but it's rare to find one as the star of the show.
Maybe cut down on the ginger if you want more of the carrots sweetness to come through.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin